Getting ready...

Busy, busy times in the run up to departure on the expedition.

There has been kit to buy, packing to do, and training rides to complete.

Apparently, I have purchased the coolest tent in the world.
 

New camping stove.

There have been campsites, hostels, and ferries to to book. After days of peering into the depths of confusing Turkish websites, I was finally able to get through to a lovely Greek lady working for a company called 'Boat and the Sea'. She not only spoke perfect English to a useless tourist, but also confirmed for me that yes, there is a boat that runs from the Greek island of Kos to Bodrum on the Turkish mainland, that yes, it runs in November, and that yes, it will carry not only a useless tourist, but also his bike. I almost asked her to marry me. 



There have been emails to send, a website to build, and text to write. The people at Giving What We Can have set me up a beautiful sponsorship page, which solves a lot of headaches with wanting to support more than one cause and to make sure people can do so with the option to add GiftAid. 

There has been a bike to fix up, possessions to sort out and store, a hammock to practice setting up, a camping stove to light, and friends to say goodbye to!

Proper coffee, in the absence of civilisation, requires a totally impractical amount of kit to carry on a bike and is absolutely happening anyway



On my first hammock set-up test I almost fell asleep, which was unintentional and possibly a good sign

I am getting very tired, and trying to remind myself not to get totally exhausted before the trip even begins; but things are coming together. I feel more and more ready to set off on my journey to the ancient cities of Europe, and confident of doing some good on the way.

The view from my hammock in the woods.

---

Riding 5,000km across Europe alone and unsupported will be a wonderful experience, but also at times very tough, and very lonely. I really believe in the causes I have chosen; if you'd like to support me by making a donation, it will help to spur me on my way! Visit my website at from-england-to-istanbul.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First day in Greece

Le Pain de la Bouche